Children are especially suited for custom compounded prescriptions. For various reasons, commercially manufactured drug forms sometimes may not meet the needs of every child.
Compounding can benefit young patients in a variety of ways:
- Adding a flavoring to a liquid suspension.
- Using an alternate dosage form.
- Changing the strength of the medication.
- Removing certain chemicals that the child is allergic to.
Working closely with a compounding pharmacist, your child’s pediatrician can prescribe medications for:
- GERD (i.e., acid reflux)
- Pain relief (i.e., dental)
- Respiratory disorders
- Oral thrush
- Head lice
- Diaper rash
- Skin disorders
- Cold sores/fever blisters
- And much more!